Channel 4 Removes Episodes Of Married At first Sight From streaming Platfomr

Channel 4 Removes Episodes Of Married At first Sight From streaming Platfomr

By Lucy Caulkett-

Channel 4 has removed episodes of Married At First Sight UK from its streaming platform following serious allegations involving former contributors to the hit reality series.

The broadcaster confirmed on May 18 that it had been presented with allegations of wrongdoing against “a small number of past contributors,” claims which Channel 4 stated are denied by those involved. The controversy has prompted renewed scrutiny of participant welfare standards within reality television productions and led to the commissioning of an independent external review.

In an official statement, Channel 4 said it could not disclose specific details due to ongoing privacy considerations and its “continuing duty of care towards all contributors.”

Capeesh Restaurant

AD: Capeesh Restaurant

The statement added: “Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols.

“Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.

Oysterian Sea Food Restaurant And Bar

AD: Oysterian Sea Food Restaurant And Bar

“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”

Produced by CPL Productions, Married At First Sight UK has become one of Britain’s most-watched reality programmes over its 10-season run. The format pairs strangers who meet for the first time at their televised wedding ceremony before embarking on honeymoons and cohabitation in an attempt to build lasting relationships.

Although the marriages are not legally binding, the emotional intensity of the programme has frequently sparked debate around participant welfare and aftercare.

The allegations first came to light through reporting by the BBC, prompting Channel 4 to reassess its safeguarding procedures.

Newly appointed Channel 4 Chief Executive Priya Dogra addressed the issue publicly, describing the allegations as “very serious” while stressing that the broadcaster is not in a position to determine their validity.

“It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors,” Dogra said.

“Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.”

Dogra defended the broadcaster’s handling of welfare concerns, stating that Channel 4 acted “quickly, appropriately, sensitively, and with well-being front and centre” whenever issues were raised during production. However, she acknowledged the need for further examination of welfare procedures and confirmed that an independent review had been launched in April.

“Because we aspire to the highest standards of contributor welfare, I felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time and ask whether changes should be made to further strengthen contributor welfare,” she said.

The external review is expected to report its findings in the coming months.The move comes amid growing industry-wide pressure on broadcasters and production companies to strengthen safeguarding measures for reality TV participants, particularly following concerns raised across several high-profile entertainment programmes in recent years.

Channel 4 reiterated that it remains committed to maintaining industry-leading standards of care for contributors as scrutiny around reality television welfare practices continues to intensify.

Heritage And Restaurant Lounge Bar

AD: Heritage And Restaurant Lounge Bar

Spread the news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *