DUP MP Jim Shannon Charged With Common Assault Against Woman

DUP MP Jim Shannon Charged With Common Assault Against Woman

By Charlotte Webster-

Democratic Unionist Party MP Jim Shannon,(pictured) has been charged with common assault in connection with an alleged incident involving a woman in Northern Ireland almost three years ago.The 71-year-old Strangford MP is accused of assaulting a woman on 1 October 2023. The case was listed at Newtownards Magistrates’ Court on Monday, where the court heard that the proceedings remain at an early stage and that a dispute has emerged over proposed changes to prosecution paperwork. Shannon did not attend Monday’s hearing. His address was given as the DUP offices on Frances Street in Newtownards.

Defence counsel Conan Rea told Deputy District Judge Trevor Browne that he had lodged a defence statement on behalf of his client. The background to the allegation was not opened in court during the hearing.  The court was told that the Public Prosecution Service intends to apply to amend dates contained in paperwork that had already been lodged in the case. Mr Rea indicated that the defence will oppose the application. He told the judge that the defence had lodged a skeleton argument setting out its objections to the proposed changes.  With prosecuting counsel expected to respond to the defence submissions, Judge Browne adjourned the proceedings until 1 September. The next hearing is therefore expected to focus, at least in part, on the dispute surrounding the prosecution documents and the defence objections.

Capeesh Restaurant

AD: Capeesh Restaurant

The charge represents a significant development for one of the Democratic Unionist Party’s longest-serving elected politicians. Shannon has represented Strangford at Westminster since 2010 and has been a prominent figure in Northern Ireland politics for more than four decades. His parliamentary profile includes extensive work on issues including health, human rights and religious freedom.

Shannon’s political career began at local government level. He was first elected to Ards Borough Council in 1985 and went on to serve as mayor in 1991 and 1992. He subsequently entered the Northern Ireland Assembly after being elected for Strangford in 1998 and was returned in the 2003 and 2007 elections. In 2010, he moved to Westminster after winning the Strangford parliamentary seat, a position he continues to hold.  The proceedings have also prompted a response from DUP leader Gavin Robinson, who said on Monday that the party had become aware of the issue more than two years ago. Speaking to journalists in Belfast, Mr Robinson said the DUP had commenced internal proceedings after becoming aware of the matter but suspended those proceedings once it learned that the courts were involved.

Oysterian Sea Food Restaurant And Bar

AD: Oysterian Sea Food Restaurant And Bar

Mr Robinson stressed that the matter would have to be determined through the courts and said he did not want to prejudge the case or provide further detail while proceedings were continuing. His comments indicate that the party had been aware of the allegations for a considerable period before the charge was publicly reported following Monday’s court hearing. The precise circumstances surrounding the alleged assault have not been disclosed in court. Reports have said the alleged victim is known to Shannon, but the background of the case has not been opened and no further details concerning the allegation were given during the hearing.  The case is now due back before Newtownards Magistrates’ Court on 1 September. The prosecution and defence are expected to address the outstanding procedural issues, including the PPS application concerning the dates on the paperwork and the defence’s objections to that application.

Monday’s hearing did not determine whether Shannon committed the alleged offence. There has been no finding of guilt, and the allegation remains unproven. Shannon is entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until a court determines otherwise. The proceedings come as Shannon continues to serve as the elected representative for Strangford. Parliamentary records confirm that he has been the constituency’s MP continuously since 6 May 2010.  The case has attracted attention because of Shannon’s seniority and longevity in public life, but the court process remains at a preliminary stage. The next hearing will provide an opportunity for the prosecution to respond formally to the defence’s objections and for the court to determine how the case should proceed.

For now, the central issue before the court is not a determination of guilt but the management of the prosecution. With the defence having lodged its statement and written arguments and the PPS seeking amendments to its paperwork, proceedings are expected to develop further when Shannon’s case returns to Newtownards on 1 September.Until then, the charge against the veteran DUP politician remains an allegation and should be reported as such. The eventual outcome will depend on the evidence presented and the decisions made through the Northern Ireland criminal justice process.

Heritage And Restaurant Lounge Bar

AD: Heritage And Restaurant Lounge Bar

Spread the news

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *