By Lucy Caulkett-
Parents of teenagers aged 16 to 19 have been urged to act before the end of August to ensure they do not lose Child Benefit payments when their children continue into further education or approved training.HM Revenue and Customs has warned families that they must confirm their teenager’s plans by 31 August if they are starting a new qualifying course or training programme in September. Payments can continue for eligible young people beyond their 16th birthday, but parents must notify HMRC that their child remains in approved education or training. If they fail to do so, Child Benefit will automatically stop. The deadline comes as hundreds of thousands of young people prepare to receive their GCSE results on Thursday, 20 August, a significant moment for teenagers deciding what they will do next. For many families, the results will be followed by decisions about A levels, T levels, vocational qualifications and other forms of further education or approved training.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is urging families to act before the 31 August deadline if their child is continuing in qualifying full-time, non-advanced education or approved training after the end of the school year. The warning comes as hundreds of thousands of young people prepare to receive their GCSE results on Thursday 20 August, a key point at which many will decide whether to remain in education, pursue vocational training or take another route.
The financial support involved can be substantial. Under the 2026-27 Child Benefit rates, the eldest or only child attracts £27.05 a week, while the rate for each additional child is £17.90 a week. That equates to annual payments of approximately £1,406.60 for the eldest or only child and £930.80 for each additional child. Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Chief Customer Officer, said exam results season was an important time for teenagers and their families as they considered their next steps. She urged parents to use the opportunity to confirm their children’s plans with HMRC so that eligible families did not miss out on support to which they were entitled. Child Benefit can continue where a young person remains in full-time, non-advanced education. Eligible routes can include A levels, T levels, Scottish Highers and certain vocational qualifications, including NVQs up to level 3. Certain approved training programmes can also qualify. HMRC provides detailed guidance on which education and training arrangements meet the requirements.
The rules are particularly important for parents whose teenagers are making decisions following their GCSE results. Not every form of education, training or employment qualifies for continued Child Benefit. A young person undertaking a university degree, for example, will not qualify under these rules. Child Benefit also cannot be claimed where a teenager starts an apprenticeship in England or undertakes a course that forms part of a job contract .Parents therefore need to establish exactly what their child will be doing from September rather than simply assuming that any form of post-16 study will qualify. Those whose children are already partway through a qualifying course that has previously been notified to HMRC generally do not need to contact the department again. The deadline is aimed particularly at families whose teenager is starting a new course or qualifying training programme. The definition of full-time education also matters. HMRC says this generally means more than an average of 12 hours a week of supervised study or course-related work experience. Home education can also qualify in certain circumstances. Rules introduced for young people with an illness or disability allow for greater flexibility where fewer hours are appropriate
Families must also keep HMRC informed if their teenager’s circumstances subsequently change. If a child leaves education or training, starts paid work of 24 hours or more a week or begins an apprenticeship in England, entitlement to Child Benefit may end. Parents who fail to report a change could receive money they are no longer entitled to and may subsequently have to repay it.There may also be tax implications for higher-income households. Where a Child Benefit claimant or their partner has adjusted net income above the relevant threshold, the higher earner may be liable for the High Income Child Benefit Charge. HMRC provides an online calculator to help families establish whether the charge applies and how much they may have to pay. Parents can pay the charge through their PAYE tax code using HMRC’s digital service or through Self Assessment, depending on their circumstances.
Parents who cannot use the HMRC app or GOV.UK are not excluded from the process. HMRC says they can extend their claim by post or telephone using the details contained in their reminder letter. The department is nevertheless encouraging eligible families to use the digital service because the process can be completed quickly and the claim updated without the need to wait for telephone assistance.
The warning is particularly timely because the 31 August deadline is fast approaching. For families waiting for GCSE results before deciding what their teenager will do next, the coming days provide an opportunity to confirm the destination and check whether it falls within the Child Benefit rules. For parents whose children are continuing in qualifying education or approved training, extending the claim is essential if they want payments to continue beyond the automatic stopping point. Those whose teenagers choose a route that does not qualify should instead make sure HMRC is told of the change so that payments are not made incorrectly.
With Child Benefit worth more than £1,400 a year for an eldest or only child under the current rates, the consequences of overlooking the deadline could be significant for household finances. HMRC’s message to parents is therefore straightforward: check the teenager’s September plans, confirm eligibility and notify the department before 31 August to ensure that qualifying families continue receiving the support to which they are entitled .HMRC’s 2026 announcement confirms the 31 August deadline, the approximately 1.5 million reminder letters, the digital application route and the rules for continuing Child Benefit after age 16. The current GOV.UK guidance confirms when Child Benefit automatically stops and which education and training arrangements can qualify.



