By Martin Cole-
A mum from Brazil has died after eating chocolate sent to her on her birthday.
Lindaci Viegas Batista de Carvalho(pictured) from Brazil had received the chocolates from an unknown person alongside some flowers as a gift on her birthday.
The unsuspecting 54-year-old woman insisted on first establishing the sender before consuming the the chocolates. Her ex husband eventually claimed to have sent the chocolates, but later said he was joking following news she had died from them. Her family now believe she was poisoned.
Her sister Lenice Batista said the victim began feeling sick after eating the chocolates, with her eyes rolling back and her arms contracting.
She added that when they arrived at the hospital in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Ms Carvalho was pronounced dead – and her son, who had also tried the chocolate, had spat it out saying that it tasted bad.
Police are now investigating poisoning allegations , with an analysis of the chocolates is expected to be completed within 30 days.
The woman’s relatives also claimed she had been threatened on social media in the lead-up to the incident.
Last Saturday, she allegedly received a suspicious call telling her that there was a delivery for her, so she had asked for the package to be left at her boyfriend’s store.
Ms Carvalho took the chocolates to a beauty salon but refused to start eating them until she established a sender, reports the Daily Star.
Carvalho’s sister, Lenice Batista, claims that an expert from the Instituto Medico-Legal, a forensic medical institute, said that traces of rat poison were present in the victim’s body.
Cops are now investigating allegations that an ex of Carvalho’s boyfriend is responsible for the crime, UOL reported.
The woman’s family have allegedly filed complaints with the police about the woman’s possible involvement in the crime as Carvalho was already being sent aggressive messages by the suspect days before the incident.
Lucas Bernandes, 26, was the delivery driver who dropped the package to Carvalho on her birthday and recalled recognising the suspect’s young son as the person who ordered the delivery.
In a statement to police, he claimed he had been threatened and feared for his life.
He told O Globo: “When the boy came to talk to me, everything was normal, he wasn’t nervous.
“I made an innocent delivery, and I am innocent. I have a clear conscience. When I woke up, I saw the report of a lady who died with a bonbon and I thought ‘I made this delivery'”